Thursday, April 22, 2010

PLN 26

In the article “Is This Creativity?” by David Warlick, the author talks about a discussion he had about creativity, leading to the question, “What does Ken Robinson say about creativity?” followed by its answer, Creativity is “the process of having original ideas which have value. Then, the author follows up with another piece I found interesting,

As Robinson says later in his TED talk,
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you won’t come up with anything original.”
What we do not want our students saying, is what I friend of mine’s daughter said recently
when ask about the purpose of school. She said,
School is the place where you do not want to get caught being wrong

I have thought this on and off throughout my schooling, though not specifically like this. It does surprise me somewhat, while I realize this is very likely true. For example, in one of my classes, almost all of what we do is reading off a sheet and copying it back onto a computer, then turn it in to see how close you got to the instructions. Although, I don’t believe this applies to all classes. A project in another of my classes recently was to write a story with few guidelines. The biggest guideline was that it needed to have an object from now that didn’t or won’t exist in another time and what that object could be. This is what matters to me in David Warlick’s “Is This Creativity?”

No comments:

Post a Comment